The USMS Summer (long-course) Nationals were just held in Auburn, AL on Aug 3-6. The results have been added to our website; there were 15 members of our LMSC present, representing VMST (13), QMST (1), and FYSM (1). Results for our LMSC members are available as a text file and in a nicer PDF format. There was a lot of fast swimming!
- Nine of the swimmers won one or more individual national championships: Pam Dameron, Billy Gaines, Channing Hardin, Kate Hibbard, Dave Holland, Danielle Myers, Kelly Parker Palace, Beth Schreiner, and Chris Stevenson. These swimmers amassed 26 championship titles; Billy and Chris won 5 each, while Beth is still batting 1.000 in 2011: she won all 4 events that she entered, repeating her feat from the Spring (short-course) National Championship.
- Two VMST relays also won national championship titles; both winning relays consisted of Kelly, Beth, Betsy Durrant, and Nancy Betts.
- A whopping 29 new LMSC records were set; see the table below for more details. Kelly led the way with 5 records, while Billy and Kate had 4 records apiece. Eight of the new records are also potential new Colonies Zone records, while Beth and Chris each set one new national/world record.
- Virginia Masters Swim Team (VMST) was very impressive in winning third place in the Local Clubs category, scoring a mere 2 points more than 4th-place Woodlands Masters. For a change, scoring between genders was pretty balanced — usually the women carry the team — with VMST placing third in both men and women scores. But guys, don’t get too full of yourself: it took 7 men to score about as many points as 5 women…!
- This was new masters swimmer Nancy Betts’ first-ever national championship. She was very impressive in her debut, setting a new LMSC record in the 50 backstroke and being a member of two national championship relays. Way to go, Nancy!
- The Auburn facility and campus were very impressive. Bill Winters, normally a member of VMST, proudly represented his alma mater as a member of the Auburn Masters team, and helped two relays win national titles. War Eagle!
- As usual, USMS posted daily videos with interviews and highlights of the meet. Watch them all: it’s the next best thing to being there! My favorite was the Day 2 video, which is embedded below. But don’t miss the Day 1 video, with its interview of VMST member Mark Palace. We also uploaded plenty of photos of the meet.
New LMSC Records at Summer Nationals
WR, NR, ZR?
|Nancy Betts||55-59||Women||LCM||50 Back||40.67|
|Betsy Durrant||70-74||Women||LCM||50 Breast||50.83||ZR|
|Betsy Durrant||70-74||Women||LCM||100 Breast||2:01.35||ZR|
|Billy Gaines||30-34||Men||LCM||50 Free||25.07|
|Billy Gaines||30-34||Men||LCM||200 Free||1:59.52|
|Billy Gaines||30-34||Men||LCM||400 Free||4:21.51|
|Billy Gaines||30-34||Men||LCM||800 Free||9:10.94|
|Kate Hibbard||25-29||Women||LCM||200 Free||2:17.74|
|Kate Hibbard||25-29||Women||LCM||100 Back||1:11.39|
|Kate Hibbard||25-29||Women||LCM||200 Back||2:34.35|
|Kate Hibbard||25-29||Women||LCM||200 IM||2:34.68|
|Dave Holland||40-44||Men||LCM||800 Free||9:48.57|
|Dave Holland||40-44||Men||LCM||400 IM||5:09.89|
|David Malsbury||50-54||Men||LCM||50 Free||27.71|
|David Malsbury||50-54||Men||LCM||50 Back||31.29|
|David Malsbury||50-54||Men||LCM||50 Breast||34.48|
|Danielle Myers||25-29||Women||LCM||100 Fly||1:10.12|
|Kelly Parker Palace||50-54||Women||LCM||400 Free||4:58.07||ZR|
|Kelly Parker Palace||50-54||Women||LCM||800 Free||10:10.10||ZR|
|Kelly Parker Palace||50-54||Women||LCM||50 Back||37.36|
|Kelly Parker Palace||50-54||Women||LCM||100 Back||1:21.77|
|Kelly Parker Palace||50-54||Women||LCM||200 Back||2:55.74|
|Beth Schreiner||70-74||Women||LCM||50 Free||35.22||NR, ZR|
|Beth Schreiner||70-74||Women||LCM||200 Free||3:12.95|
|Chris Stevenson||45-49||Men||LCM||200 Back||2:15.83||WR, NR, ZR|
|Chris Stevenson||45-49||Men||LCM||50 Fly||26.66||ZR|
|Chris Stevenson||45-49||Men||LCM||200 Fly||2:18.08||ZR|
|Gaines, Holland, Malsbury, Stevenson||160-199||Men||LCM||200 Free Relay||1:43.79|
|Parker Palace, Malsbury, Stevenson, Betts||200-239||Mixed||LCM||200 Medley Relay||2:12.93|