Although September is often a slow time for meets and OW races, there are still quite a few upcoming events that are within our LMSC (or within driving distance):
- Sept 15: The Steve Barden Memorial Swim Meet in beautiful Asheville, NC, is somewhat unique: it offers an opportunity for competition in a SCY pool and an open water environment. The entry deadline is Sept 11 (online only). Late/deck entries MAY be accepted at the discretion of the meet director.
- Sept 29: The VMST Pickin’ Up Steam meet is a SCY pool meet at Randolph-Macon College in historic Ashland, VA. Entry deadlines are Sept 25 (online, encouraged) and Sept 22 (mail). Deck entries (for an increased fee) are possible until the heats fill.
- Sept 30: While in the area for the VMST meet, drive 20 miles south and participate in the last of the Peluso OW Race Series. This is a 1500-m swim in the James River; online entries are due Sept 27.
And it isn’t too late to start planning for your fall meet schedule!
- Oct 13: Looking for a long distance challenge? Then come to Richmond and swim To The Bridge & Back in the James River. Both 2.4- and 5-mile races are available; the entry deadline (online only) is Oct 13, but race day entries are possible.
- Oct 28: The Patriot Masters Sprint Classic at George Mason University is your chance to show off those fast-twitch muscles, with almost all races 100 yards or shorter. The meet concludes with the battle of the drop-dead sprinters: the crowning of the sprint king/queen of the meet based on cumulative times in four 25s, one of each stroke. Time to relive those long-ago summer league days! Entry deadline (online only) is Oct 23.
- Nov 3: For many people in the LMSC, the VMST Annual Fall Swim Meet in Virginia Beach is an annual fall event and the best time post some competitive times in Short-Course Meters. Especially in relays! Entry deadlines are Oct 31 (online, preferred) and Oct 29 (mail). Deck entries (for an increased fee) are possible.