USMS has brought the USMS Masters Certification process in-house and as a result, ASCA no longer processes the applications or issues the certificates for USMS coach certification. Here is updated information on the USMS Masters certification requirements; more information and coaching resources are available on the USMS website for coaches.
- The USMS Coaches Committee and Club and Coach Services have developed and currently offer, three levels of Masters coach certification. The courses are taught in classroom settings throughout the country by USMS-certified instructors. At the conclusion of the courses, USMS issues certification to successful candidates.
- If you’re already an American Swimming Coaches Association-certified coach and have completed the ASCA Masters track prior to December 1, 2010, you’ll continue to have your Masters certification recognized by USMS, regardless of your current ASCA membership status, as long as you maintain your USMS membership. However, you’re invited to take these adult-specific courses, for which you’ll earn credits toward ASCA’s continuing education requirements.
To Become a USMS Certified Masters Coach, you must:
- Be a member of USMS
- Attend the Masters coach certification course
- Successfully complete the end-of-course tests
USMS values ASCA’s service as an advocate for the swim coach profession and the sport of swimming and encourages all swim coaches to consider ASCA membership. ASCA recognizes the USMS Masters coach certification course and will issue ASCA Masters coach certification to their members who:
- Attend the USMS Masters coach certification course
- Submit the required documents to ASCA:
- ASCA Certified Masters Coach application
- Completed tests from any USMS coach certification courses.
- Join ASCA – Membership fee is $70 for one year. More information about ASCA may be found here: www.swimmingcoach.org
- Upon successful completion of the classroom coursework, including all required applications and successfully completed tests, each person will be awarded USMS Level 1 or 2 Certified Masters Coach certification.
- Coaches desiring optional ASCA Masters coach certification must complete the classroom coursework and submit all required membership, applications and completed tests directly to ASCA.
For more information:
- Coach certification class schedule
- Coach certification course outlines
- USMS Certified Coaches
Contact Bill Brenner for more information regarding coach certification.