What's New in the LMSC: December 2010
- Don't forget to renew your USMS membership for 2011. Why should you join? Because there are so many benefits!
- The December Wet Gazette newsletter is available on-line.
- Want to keep LMSC fees low and save trees? Then read your monthly newsletter online and opt out of receiving it by mail. If you are interested in opting out of the print version, please contact me to let me know, and include your name and mailing address. You can always change your mind later and start receiving the paper version again.
- Entry forms now available for two Virginia meets:
- Some recent results:
- Masters swimmers in the Richmond area should consider enrolling in the University of Richmond 2011 Winter Swim Clinic. Sessions will be run by the UR varsity swimming coaches.
- Cartoonist (and masters swimmer) Jef Mallett recently poked good-natured fun at USMS Swimmer magazine and the reaction of some masters swimmers to it.
- 103 swimmers participated in the 30th Annual VMST Fall Swim Meet in Virginia Beach! The meet was well run, as always; special thanks to Meet Director Betsy Durrant and all the other volunteers. The results have been uploaded to the website.
- As usual, a boatload of LMSC records fell at this meet: 46 of them, in fact (36 individual, 10 relays).
- Shirley Loftus-Charley lead the way this time with an astonishing eight new standards! Her many miles of training this year sure have paid off. Lisa Bennett (with 5 records) and Calvin Barnes (4 records) were no slouches either.
- Two 400 medley relays set new World Records: the 280-319 women's relay of Judy Martin, Johnnie Detrick, Susan Marens and Laura Walker, and the 100-119 mixed relay of Kate Hibbard, Claire Russo, Adam Barley and Billy Gaines. Congratulations to all participants!
- The preliminary Top 10 listing for the 2010 LCM season is now available for review.
- It looks like our LMSC has many impressive performances that should remain in the individual and relay Top 10 lists, once they are finalized.
- Featured workouts: