What's New in the LMSC: July 2010
- The July Wet Gazette newsletter is available on-line.
- Want to keep LMSC fees low and save trees? Then read your monthly newsletter online and opt out of receiving it by mail.
- The electronic (PDF) version
is available 1-2 weeks earlier than the print version, and the photos are in color and are much more clear.
- If you are interested in opting out of the print version, please contact me to let me know, and include your name and mailing address. You can always change your mind later and start receiving the paper version again.
- Want to go to 2010 Summer USMS Nationalsi n beautiful Puerto Rico? You better hurry, the online registration deadline (July 8 11:59pm EDT) is fast approaching!
- Can't make it to Puerto Rico? There are several options for nearby LCM meets this summer; go to the upcoming events calendar for more details
- The 27th Annual Jack King One-Mile Ocean swim was held on June 27, and the results have been added to the website.
- There were 156 entrants and 148 finishers. Congratulations to all who competed.
- The fastest male and female participants were Chris Ross (34) and Meagan Madden (20). A mere 5 seconds separated the first 5 finishers; that must have been quite a race!
- That same weekend, open water phenom Abigail Nunn (20) decided that a 1-mile race wasn't quite long enough. Travelling down south to compete in the 34th Annual Swim Around Key West, Abby crushed the field in the 12-mile race, finishing over 27 minutes ahead of the next finisher. Well done!
- Training and racing for open water swims certainly puts you in situations you never find in the pool! VMST members Kelly (Parker) Palace and husband Mark are preparing for the 2nd Annual Kingdom Swim (July 24) in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont; apparently this couple who had the same idea.
- Unfortunately registration is closed for the race this year but Kelly definitely recommends keeping an eye out for it in 2011!
- Looking for other OW events? Check out the Long Distance calendar on the USMS website.
- June is sometimes a slow month for pool competitions, but that didn't stop 75-year-old Dick Scott from setting six new LMSC records in two meets, the Bumpy Jones Classic in Sarasota, FL, and the Team Greenville Masters Invitational in Greenville, SC.
- Most impressively, Dick managed to knock off large chunks of time in a few events in the three weeks between the meets: for instance, he lopped off 37 seconds in the 400 IM and a jaw-dropping 70 seconds in the 200 fly! Dick credits his impressive butterfly time drops to his recent switch to the "butterfrog" style.
- Not to be outdone, 54-year old Lisa Bennett recently set six new LMSC records of her own. She did it at the TYR Summer Classic LC Invitational, competing against much younger swimmers at a USA-S meet in Jacksonville, FL. It shouldn't be too hard to find her results by scanning down the "Age" column...!
- LMSC records are posted here and are updated frequently.
- We keep growing: on June 22, our 1000th member registered in the Virginia LMSC. This is the earliest date that has ever happened! As of July 6, we have more LMSC members (1030) than we had by the end of last year (1010). Did you know:
- Masters coaches: the ASCA World Clinic 2010 will be held Aug 30 - Sept 5 in Indianapolis, IN. You can register here.
- USMS and ASCA are offering, for the first time, a Masters Level I Coaches certification course; the cost is $70. See the program schedule and registration form for details.
- The Tom Wear Memorial Swim in Lake Hopatcong, NJ has been designated as the first Colonies Zone 1-mile Open Water Championship. It will occur on Sept 12. More information is available in the upcoming events calendar.
- A brand new list of Colonies Zone Records has been tabulated. This is not the same as the Zone Championshp records, which have been tracked for some time. These new records can be set at any meet and must be established by someone competing as a member of a club in one of the ten LMSCs that are in the very competitive Colonies Zone.
- The records will be updated three times each year, after the final Top Ten times have been published.
- Swimmers from our LMSC own 179 of these records at this time.
- If you haven't had a chance yet, you really should check out Jay Peluso's excellent descriptions of his experiences at SwimFest '10. Highly recommended!
- The photo page has been updated with links to some great sets, courtesy of Mark Daniels and Katharyn Tupitza. Check it out!
- The Virginia LMSC has its own account at Flickr! Contact me about sharing your swimming photos on this account; it is very easy to do.