Hello, masters swimmers: here is your June eNewsletter. There are two time-sensitive items in the list below: I will be submitting times for Top Ten consideration in mid-month, so please check the preliminary submission (link below) for any errors. Also, note that Coach's chair Jay Peluso will be at SwimFest this weekend (June 4-6) and plans to keep a blog during that time, in case you want to ask questions of him while he is there.
What's New in the LMSC
- The June Wet Gazette newsletter is available on-line.
- Jay Peluso is going to SwimFest '10! The event is being held June 4-6 and will feature clinics and workshops by some of the world's top masters swim coaches. Most of us can't go, but Jay will provide all the important highlights in a blog that he has created for this very purpose. It is the next best thing to being there!
- Preliminary versions of the list of times to be submitted for Top Ten consideration have been prepared for individual and relay swims for this SCY season. Please check these times for accuracy; contact the Top Ten Recorder if you spot any errors of have a question. The deadline is June 30, though they will probably be submitted by mid-June. Only swims from meets in our LMSC are included (eg, not Zones or Nationals), and results from these meets have been posted if you want to check them against the submission.
- Nominations for a number of USMS awards are due on July 1 and I encourage all of you to nominate worthy candidates whom you know. You should look at the complete list for details and nomination information, but I want to highlight a few:
- Two coaching awards: the Speedo/USMS Coach of the Year and the Kerry O'Brien Coaching award. Note that our own Kathryn Gregory was in the first group of recipients of the Kerry O'Brien award, while Jim Miller was the first receipient of the Coach of the Year award.
- The USMS Dorathy Donnelly Service Award. Previous winners from our LMSC include Betsy Durrant, Nancy Miller, Patty Powis, Harry Delong, Linda McCowan and Chris Stevenson.
- Other awards include the Club of the Year award, the June Krauser Communications award.
- USMS Summer Nationals will be held in San Juan, PR; full meet details, including links to entry forms, have been posted.
- Bud Swiger has uploaded photos taken from the 2007 Pan American Masters Championships, which was held in the same pool. He says it is an awesome facility; check it out.
- Open water season has officially begun! Swimmers from our LMSC competed in the 1-mile USMS Open Water Championship in Charlotte, NC, and in the Jim McDonnell Lake Swims in Reston, VA. Results have been posted.
- Congratulations to Abby Nunn of Richmond for posting the fastest time in the 2-mile competition in Reston. Though she didn't wear one, Abby beat all the competitors in the wetsuit division (as well as the non-wetsuit division).
- Don't forget to enter the Jack King 1-mile ocean swim and the Chris Green Lake 2-mile cable national championship.
- Virginia Masters wins nationals! VMST took #1 in the combined and women scores in the Local Club category. More highlights from SCY Nationals in Atlanta:
- Our LMSC was represented well, with 45 swimmers, from VMST (33), Quest (7), South Hampton (2), Warrenton (2) and UNAT (2). Excellent job, everyone; extra kudos to Claire Russo and Billy Gaines for each swimming five lifetime best times.
- There were 28 new LMSC records set at the meet. Kate Hibbard and Lisa Bennett were perfect, setting new LMSC records in all their individual events.
- There were 15 newly-crowned national champions in individual and relay events. Congratulations especially to the incomparable Mariana Berkley for winning three individual events.
- Six national records were bettered by Virginia swimmers, including a new national record in the 65+ Women 200 free relay by the VMST team of Betsy Durrant, Ida Hlavacek, Beth Schreiner and Barbara Zaremski.
- Couldn't make it to the meet? Check out the video gallery and the photo gallery.
- If you are a USMS member, you may have already received the May/June issue of USMS Swimmer, which reviews many swim paddles. You should also view the companion video of the paddle testing.
- The results from the Virginia Senior Games, held on May 8 in Richmond, have been posted. Five new LMSC records were set at the meet, including four by Owen Maher. How do you like your new age group, Owen?
- Are you maximizing your benefits as a member of USMS? A recent article summarizes them in one convenient place; there may be a few that surprise you.
- Mighty Mermaid Lisa Bennett was the subject of a nice article in Richmond Magazine; check it out!
- Most swimmers use stroke drills to improve or maintain stroke efficiency; Indy SwimFit coach Kris Houchens recently wrote an article "Know Your Drill Cycles" that describes a number of nice ones.
- Any photos of masters swimming events that you want to share with the LMSC? Please send them to me and I'll post them!