Hello, masters swimmers! This is our very first electronic monthly email newsletter. While those of you who are currently registered will continue to receive your regular newsletter in the mail, it will be supplemented every month electronically unless you choose to unsubscribe by clicking on the lick at the bottom of this message. We hope you won't, since this email list may be used to distribute time-sensitive information more quickly than is possible by normal mail. Let us know what you think!
What's New in the LMSC
- Spring is in the air! Two new meets have been added to the calendar
recently: the RCA Masters Spring Meet (Mar 28 in
Lexington, VA) and the Sunfish Masters Spring Splash (Apr 10 at George
Mason University). And don't forget about the WAVA Dreaming of Spring
meet (Mar 14 in Warrenton, VA).
- The March newsletter -- The Wet Gazette -- is now available on-line. Entry forms for the two meets were included, though of course you may also download them from the LMSC website.
- One important correction! The address to mail entries to the RCA Masters meet is incomplete. Entries should be mailed to: Craig Charley, 207 H East Nelson Street, Lexington VA, 24450. The on-line version of the newsletter has the correct information, as does the meet calendar on the LMSC website.
- Congratulations to our new 2009 Long-Distance All-Stars! The phenomenal mother and son duo of Shirley Loftus-Charley and Craig Charley earned the honor while representing Shenandoah Marlins Aquatics Masters (SMAM). This is the fifth time that the pair has been named to the same All-Star team.
- The Board of Directors met by teleconference on Feb 21; read the minutes and the newly-amended LMSC By-Laws.
- A new feature has been added to the website: scoring tabulations for Mythical National Championships, scored at the Club, LMSC and Zone level for each season. Check out how we did.
- The preliminary Top Ten list for SCM is available, and currently 35 members from our LMSC have posted 126 times in the top ten, including eleven #1 times! Two teams from our LMSC also posted top ten relay times, including four #1 relay times.
- Meet results have been posted for the David Greg III Memorial meet, hosted by VMST and held in Richmond on Feb 13-14. As usual, the meet was well organized and ran smoothly: kudos to Meet Director Nancy Miller! There were 140 participants representing 17 teams from 4 LMSCs. The water must have been fast, since 26 new LMSC records were set in the meet.
- A handful of swimmers from our LMSC traveled up to Alexandria, Virginia, on Jan 31 to participate in the Annual Tropical Splash meet hosted by the Alexandria Masters of the Potomac Valley LMSC; results are posted. They were few in number, maybe, but our swimmers had an impact, setting 7 new LMSC records.
- Did you see it? Betsy Durrant wrote a short article published on the national website: "I Want to Be Like Marianna" featuring VMST swimmer Marianna Berkley.