What's New in the LMSC: March 2011
- March issue of Wet Gazette available
- The March 2011 Newsletter has been uploaded! Get the latest news and meet info, as well as articles by Helen Thurlow (“Are Drylands Really Worth it?”), Eric Teske (“Duffel Bag vs Backpack”), and Chris Colburn (“Perfecting Your Breaststroke Glide”).
- Want to keep LMSC fees low and save trees? Then read your monthly newsletter online and opt out of receiving it by mail.
- Haven't Renewed for 2011?
- This is the last eNews email newsletter for 2010 members who have not yet renewed their USMS membership for 2011. You can renew online or by mail. (If you are 18-24 you can save $15 off your annual membership, but you must renew by mail.)
- Not sure if you have renewed for 2011? You can check here.
- Latest Meet Results
- Mark your Calendars: Dates Set for Open Water Swims
- The Jack King One Mile Ocean Swim will be held June 26 in Virginia Beach.
- The Chris Greene Lake 1- and 2-mile cable swims will be held July 9 in Charlottesville.
- Both swims are hosted by VMST at family-friendly venues. Entry information will be posted soon.
- Getting Out of Bed for Workout
- An article by Ali Hall suggests an interesting motivational strategy: asking yourself “will I?” rather than the affirmative “I will!” favored by self-help gurus. Setting challenging but reasonable goals can help: you might want to consider the Go the Distance program.
- USMS 5K Open Water National Championship
- Are you up for a trip to Coney Island in the summer? The USMS 5K Open Water National Championship will be held August 6. Online and paper entries are available.
- Yoga for Swimmers
- Does yoga offer something special to swimmers to help correct the infamous “swimmer’s slouch” and other issues relating to inflexibility and muscle imbalance? Barbara Won certainly thinks so.
- SwimFest 2011 Registration Now Online
- Registration for SwimFest 2011 (May 20-22 in Atlanta) is now live! Swimmers and coaches, join us for a weekend of interactive clinics and instruction in a friendly, non-competitive environment. Space is limited, so don't delay.
- Improved “Places to Swim”
- Places to Swim is now geocoded: that means you can enter the desired zip code and a Google Map of all the nearby places to swim will appear. Pretty nifty.
- Ransom Award Call for Nominations
- First Edition of LMSC Coaches Newsletter
- Jay Peluso, LMSC Coaches Committee chair, has put out the first edition of the LMSC Coaches Newsletter. Primarily aimed at masters coaches, it will be published on a quarterly basis.
- Mike Gustafson on OW Swimmers
- 2011 USMS Spring Nationals